Antonio Valmaggi untitled metal sculpture, 1970, Italy, H 100 cm

Antonio Valmaggi untitled metal sculpture, 1970, Italy, H 100 cm

Antonio Valmaggi untitled metal sculpture, 1970, Italy, H 100 cm

Antonio Valmaggi untitled metal sculpture, 1970, Italy, H 100 cm

Antonio Valmaggi (1906, Rimini, Italy– 1986, Rimini) studied engineering in Switzerland. He was a founding member of cybernetic research group.

The Group V (from “Visions”) was a group of Italian artists active from 1959 till 1967, known since 1968 as cybernetic research group.

The group consisted of a core of Rimini artists interested in the relationship between art and science, working in close collaboration with the Center for Cybernetics and Linguistic activities of University of Milan directed by Silvio Ceccato. Founded by painter Pino Parini and coordinated by him, the Group initially involved experimental activities with artists Giulio Tedioli and Giorgio Scarpa. Others followed such as Giorgio Benzi, Galliano Ricci and Mario Valentini, the sculptor Flavio Carlin, the architect Aldo Villani, the engineer Antonio Valmaggi, Gerardo Filiberto Dasi, and-for some time-Viktor of Augusta, Eugenio Lombardini and Augusto Betti.

The Group took part in several group exhibitions: Avezzano (“vision” Structures in 1964), Milan (“New Visual research in Italy” in 1966), Zagreb (“Tendencija 3” in 1965 and “Tendecije 4” in 1968) and in Ferrara (“Green Group” in 1974).